Here are some interesting and fun facts you may not know about the 4th of July!
- The first Independence Day was July 8, 1776, the Declaration of Independence was first read after the citizens were summoned by the ringing of the Liberty Bell
- The Flag was adopted June 14, 1777
- 50 Flags are flown 24 hrs a day at the Washington Monument
- Originally the stars were arranged in a circle to denote equality of all colonies
- Thomas Jefferson died on the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, so did John Adams who is also a signer
- Only John Hancock actually signed on July 4th, all the others were later
- The population in 1776 was about 2.5 million, today it is 314 million
- The 4th of July didn't became a National holiday until 1941
- Barbecue is big! 74 million Americans are planning one; we will be eating 150 million hot dogs and buying 700 million pounds of chicken!